Friday, June 26, 2009

Another obscenely hot day in northeastern Indiana, with fierce thunder-and-lightning storms last nite. A nice breeze today, but it's blowing 90-degree air!
I'm posting photos today of my completed Bast art doll, and she is listed in my Etsy shop. This one had a lot of detail work, but it was worth it. I'm pretty happy with the way she turned out, altho there are always things I'd do differently if I could do it over.

I went with a traditional pose and gave the goddess her signature sistrum (sacred rattle) and aegis with a cat head. Her collar was fun to make, and I'm glad I went with a shorter hairdo. Her dress was easier than usual -- just cutting and gluing. (When the Goddess was handing out sewing skills, I was off reading a mystery novel or something.) Her gold circlet is one of those plastic rings that you find on a twist-off milk bottle cap. Frugal, no?

The little gold cat on the base was an afterthought, made to cover an imperfection in the wood. It only took me a couple of minutes to sculpt, but I think it finishes off the piece nicely. A lot of the ancient statues of Bast show kittens sitting at her feet.

And now, on to my next doll.


No comments:

Post a Comment